The only keto dinner recipe you will ever need: ZUCCHINI BOATS!
In-season summer squash, grass-fed beef and sharp cheddar thick cut shreds = the EASIEST weeknight dinner.
One of the number one questions I’ve been asked lately is: what is the keto diet? The media often links it to weight loss, increased energy levels and more.
The ketogenic diet is essentially a high fat, low carb and moderate protein diet.
Following the ketogenic diet strictly (which is hard to do in this food environment!) will result in your body breaking down fat into molecules called ketones which then circulate the body and become the main energy source for your cells (instead of glucose from carbs). While this diet has been used for centuries to treat childhood epilepsy, this is typically under the supervision of a doctor and dietitian. There is not enough research to elucidate the effects of long term keto in other individuals.
That being said, there is no harm in embracing keto meals into your meal rotation. Especially when they are nutrient-dense. Enter: zucchini boats!
These boats are filled with grass-fed beef. Grass-fed beef tends to contain higher levels of omega-3 fats to omega-6’s. Some research suggests that we consume too much omega-6 fats relative to omega-3’s. This imbalance has been linked to inflammation and even chronic disease. Some experts agree that our omega-3 to omega-6 ratio should be closer to 1:1. One way to help achieve that is by incorporating more grass-fed beef and fish.
I topped these with Borden Cheese Sharp Cheddar Thick Cut Shreds which are perfect for delivering creamy, melty goodness.
Cheese gets a bad rap, but it shouldn’t! It’s a nutrient-dense food and a great source of protein and calcium. In fact, one cup of Borden Cheese Sharp Cheddar Thick Cut Shreds packs seven grams of protein and meets 20% of your daily calcium.
If you make these, be sure to share with me on Insta!
- 2 zucchinis
- 1/2 cup ground grass-fed beef
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes (no sugar)
- 1/4 cup Borden Cheese Sharp Cheddar Thick Cut Shreds
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Warm avocado oil in a medium skillet over high heat.
- Saute grass-fed beef with garlic, oregano, salt and pepper until cooked.
- In a large bowl, combine beef with diced tomatoes.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers.
- Place zucchini boats face up on a lined baking sheet.
- Fill each boat with the beef tomato mix.
- Top each boat with Borden Cheese Sharp Cheddar Thick Cut Shreds.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh chopped basil.