Meet your NEW favorite naturally gluten-free pizza packed with veggies: eggplant pizza bites!
Made with an in-season summer veggie replacement crust that is naturally gluten-free and high in fiber: Eggplant!
Eggplant is mild in taste and has a sponge-like texture which allows it to soak up all the yummy flavors it is prepared with. July officially marks the start of eggplant season but if you are in South Carolina like me, run don’t walk to your closest grocery start to snatch one up and make these!
Topped with melty cheese, aromatic basil and more veggies (because you can never have enough).
For the base of this pizza I used The Jersey Tomato Co. Tomato Basil Sauce. It’s gluten-free and contains no added sugar – something I always look for in my sauces. It is also made with 100% premium New Jersey tomatoes which makes it naturally lower in sodium (only 190 mg versus 500+ mg found in many store-bought sauces). Registered dietitian-approved and 100% delish!
These make for the perfect Memorial Day hors d’oeuvre or weekday snack – both kid and adult friendly!
Sneaking those veggies in, in the most delicious way possible!
Tune in to Good Food Friday on ABC WCIV this week for more healthy and delicious Memorial Day Menu swaps!
If you make these, be sure to share with me on Insta!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch circles
- 1/2 cup mozarella, shredded
- 1 cup The Jersey Tomato Co. Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1/3 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place eggplant slices on a lined baking sheet and brush with olive oil on both sides.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, flip over eggplant slices and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven and set oven to broil.
- Spoon The Jersey Tomato Co. Tomato Basil Sauce on top of each eggplant slice and spread with a knife.
- Top each eggplant slice with half of the mozzarella, top with black olives and cherry tomatoes and top with additional mozzarella.
- Return eggplant to oven and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil.
Sponsored by The Jersey Tomato Co.