This recipe is sponsored by NAKANO Rice Vinegars.
One pan, no problem!
If you are like me, you are all about meals that can be cooked in one pan and served out of it, saving both time cooking in the kitchen and washing dishes. This hearty one-pan meal makes for an easy and delicious make-ahead meal that can be enjoyed for lunch and dinner throughout the week. However, it also makes for an easy entree to serve at your small gatherings!
The star of traditional paella is rice. In this dish, I’ve used brown rice, which is a nutritious option because it retains the bran layer of the grain, which contains the fiber, vitamins and minerals. In this dish, the rice soaks up the savory flavors as it slowly simmers on the stovetop. I’ve also incorporated lean proteins like chicken and shrimp for a surf and turf twist.
What really characterizes paella is the spices it’s made with, namely saffron and paprika. Saffron is truly a beautiful, unique spice that also happens to be one of the most expensive. It has a subtle earthy yet sweet flavor and aroma and you only need a few threads to season and color an entire dish.
In this recipe, I’ve married Asian-inspired flavor with the makings of traditional Spanish paella. NAKANO Rice Vinegars are the quintessential pantry staples to add an Asian-inspired twist to classic recipes like paella. Each NAKANO Rice Vinegar is crafted to perfection to add distinctly delicious flavor to your favorite personalized dishes and comes in a variety of delectable flavors from sweet-tasting NAKANO Seasoned Rice Vinegar, to the savory-rich tasting Roasted Garlic variety. NAKANO has a flavor (or two!) for every palate and dish.
If you make this dish, be sure to share with me on Instagram and check out my blog and the NAKANO website and Instagram for more recipe inspiration! You can find NAKANO in the vinegar aisle at your grocery store. Be sure to add it to your list the next time you go grocery shopping.
Asian-Inspired Spanish Paella
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined frozen medium shrimp
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp NAKANO Roasted Garlic Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the skillet and cook until browned and no longer pink, about 6-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, peas, bell pepper and diced tomatoes with its juices to the skillet and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice, broth, rice vinegar, tamari, seasonings and chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until rice begins to soften, about 8-10 minutes
- Add shrimp to the pan, cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until shrimp is pink. Drizzle lemon juice on top and serve immediately.