Need a seasonal side for your healthy Thanksgiving? Look no further than this savory vegan veggie and quinoa stuffed acorn squash!
One of the greatest parts of fall cuisine is all the in-season produce, namely SQUASH. Acorn, butternut, spaghetti, pumpkin and kabocha… I love it all. You can puree it into soups, add it to desserts or use it as a vehicle for your whole grains and veggies – like I did in this dish!
I love making stuffed squash with different combinations of proteins, veggies and whole grains. Quinoa is higher in protein than other grains so this one didn’t need meat. Serve this alongside your turkey dinner for a nutritious and balanced meal!
The great thing about this recipe is that, it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and flavor agents. Instead, I used Pacific’s Organic Mushroom Broth to add deep, umami flavor. It’s a great kitchen staple for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters alike! I think many people underestimate the power of broth. You can use it for more than just soups and stews. Use it to cook up your grains, roasted veggies and even meat dishes for some savory earthiness. Mushroom broth adds a lot of flavor but not a lot of calories!
Tune into Good Food Friday this week on ABC Charleston for more easy and nutritious Thanksgiving dishes!
If you make this, be sure to share with me on Instagram!
- 1 1/2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place squash in a nonstick baking dish flesh side up and brush two tablespoons of olive oil on each.
- Bake for 40 minutes until squash is tender.
- While squash is cooking, cook quinoa in one and a fourth cup of Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth over the stovetop.
- Warm two tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 cup Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and pecans and saute until cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa with vegetable mixture. Divide amount four acorn squash halves, garnish with thyme and cranberries.
- Serve immediately.
Sponsored by Pacific Foods.