Spring clean your diet with just a few simple swaps. From breakfast to dinner to everything in between. Always nutritious AND delicious. By Registered Dietitian and on-air nutrition expert, Mia Syn, MS, RD.
We can all make a few healthier swaps here and there. Today I share some delicious AND feasible tips to clean up our diet on ABC’s Lowcountry Live!
A crunchy and savory chip swap
Crunchy roasted chickpeas are a great alternative to chips that still have that crunch and savory taste that we crave. Unlike traditional potato chips, these are high in fiber and protein, which are those are two nutrients that satisfy us and can help manage bad food cravings. They are a great on the go snack option but I also recommend them as a crouton replacement on top of a salad.
How to eat more veggies
Another way to spring clean our diet is to ADD more veggies! Try them in unique ways. Some of my favorites or enjoying them as noodles in lieu of pasta, incorporating riced cauliflower in lieu of rice and adding leafy greens to pasta sauce and smoothies.
Forgo the soda this season
Drinks can pack empty calories so you want to be mindful of the ones that you choose. Reach for sparkling water or elixirs incorporating spices and herbs like turmeric and reishi for a beverage with benefits.
On the go snacks that double as dessert
Make your own energy dessert bites with nuts and dried fruit for a quick snack or healthier dessert. The combination of fiber and plant protein will keep you satiated and energized as well.
- 1 bag of Sweet Potato Ribbons by Mann's
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add meatball ingredients to a large bowl and combine throughly.
- Divide meat evenly into 6-8 meatballs and place evenly on a lined baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In a large skillet saute onions and garlic. Place in high speed blender along with sauce ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- In the large skillet, add avocado oil and saute sweet potato ribbons with salt and pepper until soft.
- Plate sweet potato ribbons and serve with sauce and meatballs.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.