A gluten free holiday thumbprint cookie made with strawberry chia jam, almond flour and Cocavo avocado and coconut oil blend.
‘Tis the season for cookies galore!
Christmas Eve is just a few days away and I am putting together my annual list of holiday cookies to make for family, neighbors and carolers.
Traditional thumbprint cookies have always been a staple on my list using butter, white flour, and chocolate kisses. This year, I wanted to try making them with a healthy twist!
First I swapped out chocolate kisses for a homemade strawberry chia jam. This was super easy to make. Chia seeds may be small in size but they are a fiber and omega-3 powerhouse. They also absorb liquid and expand to about three times their size. This makes them especially great for making stovetop jams. The best part – I didn’t have to add any sugar or pectin.
For the cookie base, I swapped butter for better and used Cocavo which is a coconut and avocado oil blend from New Zealand that just hit store shelves at Walmart nationwide.
If you love the sweet taste of coconutt oil, you will love this healthier alternative that is lower in saturated fat and higher in those good mono and polyunsaturated fats. Because of its unique blend, it also has a high smoke point which makes it great for cooking, baking and sautéing. It’s also gluten free, vegan and dairy free.
Gluten free? No prob! I used almond flour in this recipe – a naturally gluten-free and nutrient-rich alternative to refined flour.
If you make this, be sure to share with me on Instagram!
- 1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup Cocavo
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cookie ingredients until uniform. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to harden.
- Set oven to 375 F.
- Add strawberries to a saucepan and chia seeds to a saucepan and warm over medium heat. Stir continuously. Add more chia seeds as needed until jam thickens. Set aside.
- Remove batter from fridge and divide into balls. Place balls on a lined baking sheet and use your thumb to make an imprint. Fill with chia jam. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Sponsored by Cocavo.