Paying homage to my favorite summer fruit with 6-ingredient cherry SCONES!
Cherries have a sweet, candy-like flavor but happen to tout a slew of health benefits. These are easy to make, made with good-for-you ingredients and can be enjoyed for breakfast, snack or even dessert!
I am so excited to be a Northwest Cherry Growers spokesperson this year and share the amazing benefits of sweet cherries along with the unique ways to enjoy them all year round.
The Benefits of Sweet Cherries:
- Natural, healthy sweetness: dark sweet and Rainier cherries are naturally sweet and happen to have one of the lowest glycemic indexes of almost any other fruit. This means they release glucose slowly and evenly, helping you maintain steady blood sugar levels, leaving you feeling full, longer.
- Anti-inflammatory superpowers: Research shows that cherries contain anthocyanins, which shut down the enzymes that cause tissue inflammation in the exact same way that ibuprofen does. Cherries = medicine!
- Better sleep in every bite: Perhaps my favorite thing about cherries is that they may help you sleep better. Studies have shown that cherries are a natural source of melatonin which helps control your body’s internal clock and regulate your sleep patterns.
- Fiber!: Help meet your recommend 25-35 grams of fiber/day and two cups of fruit with sweet cherries. Fiber keeps you full and may help reduce cholesterol levels, improving cardiovascular health.
Preserving the Healthy Powers of Sweet Cherries to Enjoy Year-Round:
Cherry season is relatively short and usually only available nationwide through August so get them while you can! Stock up and simply freeze, dry or can to preserve and use them all year round – yes, even in your festive holiday recipes! I’m already thinking cherry cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving and cherry thumbprint cookies for Christmas.
If you make these, be sure to share with me on Instagram!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 cup sweet cherries, sliced and pitted
- Optional: 1/3 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Whisk in egg and stir until uniform.
- Fold sweet cherries into the batter. Add walnuts here (can be omitted).
- Place batter on a lined baking sheet. Form mixture into a ball and flatten it out until it is a 1-inch thick circle.
- Cut into six scones and place in the oven for 15 minutes
This recipe was sponsored by Northwest Cherry Growers.