When life gives you cherries, make a cherry crisp!
This summer dessert is perfect for entertaining al fresco or if you want a seasonal sweet treat to enjoy all week long.
The sweet cherry center is accompanied by a crispy, crumbly gluten-free topping made with crunchy walnuts. Don’t forget to pair the warm crisp with some coconut ice cream or classic vanilla. The warm + cold combo is everything.
It’s officially cherry season – but not for much longer! Be sure to snatch up fresh cherries while you can now through August.
Cherries are a natural source of melatonin which may help promote a more restful night’s sleep. They also happen to be one of the lowest glycemic fruits meaning they release glucose slow and steady for even energy.
This crisp is totally customizable and can be made any time of the year. I think that sliced apples or pears would be divine in the fall!
If you make this, be sure to share with me on Instagram!
- 2-3 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2/3 cup almond flour, blanched
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss cherries with tapioca flour and maple syrup. Add to a greased 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients with your hands until crumbly.
- Top cherries with the crumble.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream!