While the main course often steals the spotlight, the Thanksgiving table wouldn’t be complete without a variety of delectable side dishes. Here are 10 healthy Thanksgiving side dishes that strike the perfect balance between flavor and nutrition.
1. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze: Brussels sprouts are packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. Roasting them enhances their natural sweetness, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze adds a delightful tangy touch.
2. Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash: Acorn squash is rich in vitamins and fiber, while quinoa provides a protein boost. This hearty and visually appealing dish makes for a satisfying alternative to traditional stuffing.
3. Cauliflower Mash with Garlic and Herbs: Swap out traditional mashed potatoes for a lighter alternative. Cauliflower mash is lower in carbohydrates and calories, but with the addition of garlic and herbs, it’s bursting with flavor.
4. Cranberry-Orange Relish: Ditch the canned cranberry sauce and opt for a fresh, homemade relish. Cranberries are rich in antioxidants, and the addition of oranges adds a zesty and vitamin C-packed twist.
5. Maple-Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, high in vitamins and fiber. Roasting them with a touch of maple syrup creates a delightful caramelization that enhances their natural sweetness.
6. Kale and Pomegranate Salad: Dark leafy greens like kale are loaded with nutrients. Toss in some vibrant pomegranate seeds for a burst of antioxidants and a visually stunning side dish.
7. Green Bean Almondine: Green beans are a low-calorie vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals. Toasted almonds add a satisfying crunch, making this side both nutritious and delicious.
8. Butternut Squash and Apple Soup: Warm up your Thanksgiving with a comforting soup. Butternut squash and apples create a sweet and savory combination that’s as nourishing as it is flavorful.
9. Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Create a delightful appetizer or side dish by stuffing mushrooms with a mixture of spinach, garlic, and herbs.
10. Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Zest: Asparagus is a low-calorie vegetable rich in folate and vitamins. Grilling enhances its natural flavor, and a sprinkle of fresh lemon zest adds a citrusy kick.