Who doesn’t love fries?
Fries get a bad rap as being unhealthy but the truth is, it is all about how they are prepared and with what type of oil.
It is totally possible to prepare healthier fries at home with the right ingredients. Think outside the typical potato box with these veggies that roast up easily as fries:
- Parsnips fries: roast these with a high heat plant-based oil and fresh herbs like rosemary.
- Russet potato fries yes, potatoes are perfectly healthy! In fact they are a good source of fiber and potassium, important for muscles. Russet potatoes get a bad rap because they have a higher glycemic index but that doesn’t discount them from being a nutritious veggie. Try these wedges air-fried with sea salt.
- Yellow squash and zucchini fries: these are my go-to fries of choice in the summer. Try breading them with whole grain breadcrumbs or almond flour herb mixture for some crispy crunch.
- Jicama fries: this refreshing crunchy veggies is an excellent fry choice. I just toss with spicy seasonings and roast – no oil needed for these!
- Sweet potato fries: this is a crowd-favorite! Also a great source of fiber plus beta carotene antioxidants (which our body also converts to vitamin A).
- Green bean fries: a fun and easy way to prepare green beans plus no chopping required.
- Carrot fries: a fun way to enjoy sliced carrots!
- Butternut squash fries: these are a great option in the fall and winter when you need something to do with your butternut squash on the counter. Slightly lower in carbs than potatoes but with the same great taste.
- Sugar snap pea fries: try these with a teriyaki dipping sauce for some asian-fusion and top with toasted sesame seeds for extra crunch.
- Beet fries: these can get a little messy to cut but they are worth it! A great option for those looking for a sweeter take on fries.
What’s your favorite fry? Let me know on Instagram!