Raise your hand if you are a MUSHROOM lover like me.
Mushrooms aren’t just a special topping they’re a staple that makes a meal better, any time of day, everyday!
Chances are, you have tried white button mushrooms, the most popular variety of mushrooms in the U.S. White buttons represent about 90% of all mushrooms consumed and are incredibly versatile because of their mild flavor. Add mushrooms to your grocery list this week and try these unique preparations.
White Button Mushrooms are more than just a topping
Most of us know white button mushrooms on pizza but they have potential for so much more! Try these different preparations to broaden your meals and snacks rotation.
- Roast in the oven for an easy side dish
- Sauté with veggies and protein for an easy balanced meal
- Slow cook in soups and stews for concentrated flavor
- Stuff them with protein, veggies and fresh parmesan
- Add them to customizable breakfast egg cups
- Season, sauté and add to pasta
- Finely chop and cook with ground beef added to tacos
- Finely chop and add to homemade burger patties for a hidden serving of veggies
- Sauté and add as a “meaty” topping to avocado toast
Mushroom nutrition 101
Mushrooms are fat free, cholesterol free, low in calories and provide important nutrients like B vitamins, potassium along with antioxidants. B vitamins help convert the food we eat into energy and potassium is important for our muscles. Mushrooms are also one of the only plant-based sources of vitamin D, a nutrient important for bone health.
Mushrooms = the ultimate plant-based “meat” swap
Mushrooms add a meaty texture and taste to recipes and are perfect for your meatless Monday dishes. However, you don’t need to eliminate meat from your diet completely if you don’t want to. Try blending finely chopped white button mushrooms with ground meat in your homemade burger patties, taco filling and spaghetti Bolognese recipes. Not only do they add a serving of veggies to your meal, they help make your dish more delicious, nutritious and sustainable.
What is your favorite way to enjoy mushrooms? Tag me on Instagram with your favorite meals and recipes!
This post is sponsored by The Mushroom Council.