Now that it’s spring, many of us are looking to spring clean our closet, car… and DIET. It’s especially important to keep nourished now as we spend more time at home. Many of us look at the food we eat to make changes and what’s often overlooked is what we are drinking.
Water makes up over half of our body so it’s important to stay hydrated through the foods we eat and beverages we drink. 2.7-3.7 liters per day is the recommendation. Sugar-sweetened beverages give us energy (calories) but no other nutrition. Try these hydration hacks help get your daily recommended H2O.
1. Homemade Spa Water: infuse water with fresh fruit and herbs for a refreshing, no added sugar beverage.
2. LifeFuels: Lifefuels is a great solution for those looking for beverages with benefits. It’s a bottle that creates enhanced beverages with the touch of a button or swipe of an app that is tailored to your personal activity, lifestyle and taste. It comes with FuelPods that come in flavors like ginger citrus and lemon lime. Each FuelPod contains a unique bend of vitamins, minerals or antioxidants. What’s great is that you can also track your hydration using the app from your phone.
3. Hydrating produce: Produce like watermelon, bell pepper, tomatoes and cucumber are primarily water so can be a hydrating addition to your diet. Add them to salads, smoothies or snack on them dipped into hummus.
4. Try sparkling: If you are looking to break up with soda, try sparkling water with fruit. You get the same bubbly taste but without the added empty calories.
5. Use a reusable straw: Using a straw to drink water can help you do it more efficiently throughout the day. Invest in a few metal straws to have when you need a little hydration help.