Enjoy breakfast all day with strawberry french toast skillet. Made with sprouted bread, grain-free topping, low-sugar, dairy free.
I am a breakfast lover through and through – especially when it comes to french toast.
Growing up, I was a fan of the classic french toast – I am talking white bread, with egg, cinnamon and little maple syrup.
Now as a dietitian, I have upgraded my french toast a bit by making a few healthier swaps without compromising on the taste that we know and love.
Instead of making it on the stovetop, I used a cast iron skillet and instead of your traditional slices of bread, I’ve chopped them up into bite-sized pieces.
French toast is a great balanced breakfast if you use the right bread and sweeteners.
In this skillet I used Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted Bread. Sprouted bread is not only easier to digest than regular bread, it offers a plethora of bioavailable nutrients that would be hard to absorb otherwise.
Of course, I had to include seasonal strawberries as a source of sweetness. A cup of strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange so eat up!
Sometimes I also add granola to the top of my french toast for a crunchy topping but I decided to make my own topping this time around. This one is grain free, high in healthy fats and just a hint of sweetness.
Don’t forget to tag me with your creations on Insta!
Strawberry French Toast Skillet
- 6 slices Silver Hills Bakery sprouted bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup millk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch cast iron skillet
- Cut each slice of Silver Hills Bakery sprouted bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Place bread pieces evenly in the skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Pour over bread in the skillet.
- Place strawberries evenly over the bread in the skillet.
- In a food processor, combine topping ingredients until you reach a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle on top of skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Nutrition By Mia http://nutritionbymia.com/
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to keep up with my recipes nutrition guides, media segments and collaborations!