Easy one-bite hors d’oeuvres made with gluten-free Schar bread in honor of Celiac Disease awareness month. A healthy hostess hack!
Finger sandwiches are my favorite one-bite hors d’oeuvres.
In honor of May being Celiac Disease awareness month, I put together some gluten-free sandwiches that you can serve at your next gathering while accommodating to your guest’s dietary restrictions.
These are made with Schär’s gluten-free Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread. Schär is a leading maker of gluten-free products in Europe and now sell over 40 gluten-free products in the United States including bread crumbs, pizza crust and crackers. As a dietitian, I am thrilled to see that there are reliable gluten-free products becoming more widely available.
There is a lot of noise in the nutrition space surrounding “gluten-free.”
The truth is that those with Celiac Disease or a gluten-sensitivity/intolerance, should be avoiding gluten. The word “gluten-free” is often made synonymous with healthy. However, this isn’t necessarily true. While there are a plethora of nutritious foods that are naturally gluten free – think fruits, vegetables, nuts and grilled fish, there are also products on the market that are gluten-free but not necessarily nutritious.
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that requires individuals eliminate gluten, which is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.
Ingesting gluten, for these individuals, can lead to a damaged small intestine and subsequent nutrient deficiencies. Gluten can be found in some unlikely foods including soy sauce, certain candies, beer, sauces and gravies.
I love finger-sandwiches because they are easy to throw together when you have little time on hand, and you can get creative!
This is what I consider a “healthy hostess hack”.
Don’t forget to share your finger sandwiches with me on Instagram!
Gluten-Free Finger Sandwiches
A one-bite appetizer that will accommodate guests with dietary restrictions.
- 6 slices Schär Gluten-Free Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread
- 1/4 cup cucumbers, peeled and sliced into quarter moons
- 2 oz smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup jelly
- 1 ounce mozzarella, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tomato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 36 toothpicks
- Slices crusts off of bread and cut each bread slice into six squares.
- Divide bread squares into three groups.
- In the first group of squares, spread each slice of bread with cream cheese.
- Place salmon and cucumber in between two slices and secure with toothpick.
- Repeat for remaining five sandwiches.
- For the next group of squares, speed one half of each slice with peanut butter and the other with jelly.
- Secure each sandwich with a toothpick.
- For the last group of square, place mozzarella and tomato between two slices and secure with a toothpick.
Nutrition By Mia http://nutritionbymia.com/
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to keep up with my recipes nutrition guides, media segments and collaborations!
This recipe was sponsored by Schär.